21 April 2011

Miyako Odori - Mamehana san


Mamehana san, preparing Macha
Miyako Odori, Kyoto 2011


To get the privilege to have a Macha (green tea) prepared by Mamehana san before attending Miyako Odori (Gion Kobu spring dance performance), I had to book my ticket 3 months in advance and almost run to sit in the first rank.

I sat there and greet her. She certainly wanted to laugh when she saw me going straight right in front of her with a happy smile on my face. You are not supposed to greet, smile or show any expression when you hold a tea ceremony. So she could not return my greetings.

Her response was actually nicer. She knew I would be so happy to get such a picture of her. So she looked at me which was her way to greet me and thank me for coming. Wonderful, Mamehana san, I am so grateful to her.

Maiko Fumino brought me the Macha Mamehana san prepared. This day could not be better.


Mamehana san, portrait
Kyoto 2011




My previous posts about Mamehana san (wow, already so many) :


- Erikae
- Erikae 2nd post
- Last days as a Maiko
- Present
- Autumn
- Kotohajime
- Summer 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment